Family Session Style Guide
Hello friend! How can I help?
Dressing for your special session can be something that is stressful when you don't know what will look the best on camera. I have some tips for you that will hopefully make the process of looking amazing for your family photos a little more clear. You can always email me and ask for help with your decision before your session.
The goal is COORDINATING outfits instead of MATCHING!
• Solid Colors
• Neutral Colors
• Lighter Colors
• Minimal Patterns
• Good Fit
• Comfortable for Movement
I recommend the following for your family session attire.
Light Blues and Teals
Dusty, or Rich Greens
These colors will result in more of a light and airy look, and add style and class to your images.
These colors allow your smiles to do the talking!
- If you’re looking for a soft, feminine look, I recommend a flowing, maxi-length dress or skirt! The movement of this type of fabric photographs beautifully!
- If you're looking for a more casual rugged look, but still want to look amazing, pair good jeans with cute boots, and a nice sweater and scarf.
Again! You can always run your outfit ideas past me if you are unsure!
Remember, the goal is COORDINATING outfits instead of MATCHING!
For winter sessions, consider your outerwear. You will be outside in the cold for about 50 minutes. Integrate stylish outerwear in the same color scheme outlined above.
Don't forget about shoes!
Shoes and boots really can make or break your family's outfit selection, so don't forget to think about them! I recommend avoiding tennis shoes whenever possible.
What to avoid
- Avoid all family members wearing white tops. White is fine as long as it's sprinkled through the family.
- I recommend that you avoid patterns that are smaller than a dime! These small patterns can create strange visual effects in a digital camera.
Please do not wear graphic tees,
shirts with large logos,
or tennis shoes if avoidable!
- Textures are great! Patterns should be lightly used. If you would prefer to wear a subtle print, please make sure it's paired with solid colors, and not another print.
-Avoid neon colors, and be very careful with red, orange, yellow, and bright blue tones.
- Ill fitting clothing will not photograph well! More on this below..
I recommend that you wear something that flatters the parts of you that you love the most and also allows you to be extremely confident!
If you are uncomfortable when you look in the mirror (having to suck in and only like the way you look from one angle, or needing to constantly adjust), then that probably isn’t the best outfit choice for you.
Correct undergarments are essential to good fit. If you are unsure if you have the correct undergarments for your outfit choice (or for your everyday life!) I highly recommend taking an hour to visit an undergarment specialist. I can recommend one to you if you'd like.
I want you to be really confident in your outfit, because I know that you will love your portraits so much more if you’re not worrying about how your clothes fit!
Plan to do some moving, walking, playing, and a little bit of tickling. I like to keep sessions candid and fun, so please aim to have you and your children in a good mood. Allow them to play and join in with them!
I'm so excited to photograph your family! I hope you are getting excited too.